William Aze 001
William Aze, c. 1836-1925
Reference number 001.
Approximately 1836. Different records suggest different years of birth: 1841 census, age 7, implies born in 1833/34; 1861 census, age 23, implies born 1837/38; 1871 census, age 40, implies born 1830/31; 1881 census, age 43, implies born 1837/38; 1891 census, age 55, implies born 1835/36; 1901 census, age 66, implies born 1834/35; 1911 census, age 76, implies born 1834/35; Marriage certificate from 1855, age 19, implies born 1835/36; Death certificate from 1925, age 91, implies born 1833/34.
- Mary Jane Aze 1856
- Ann Aze 1857
- William Henry Aze 1859
- Samuel Richard Aze 1861
- John Henry Aze 1863
- Walter Aze 1864
- Frank Aze 1866
- Alfred Arthur Aze 1868
- Arthur Aze 1869
- Arthur Aze 1871
- Philip Aze 1872
- Annie Aze 1875
- Charles Aze 1880
Ann Cockram. Married 15 December 1855. Marriage certificate held.
- Date of death: 26 March 1925
- Place of death: 23 Fort Street
- Age: 91
- Occupation: Formally a wood sawyer in cabinet works
- Cause of death: Senile arteriosclerosis
- Informant: William Aze, son, present at the death, same place of residence
William Aze appears in the following records:
In 1841 William is living with his sister Mary Ann in Barnstaple Union Workhouse. There is no record of William in the 1851 census. By 1861 William is living with his wife Ann in Pilton, Barnstaple. The following censuses indicate the birth of at least 10 children. Three other children who were born and died in between censuses are assumed to be William's on the basis that there were no other adult male Azes living in Barnstaple (where the births were registered) at the time of the births. These three children are Ann (1857-59), Alfred Arthur (1868-68) and Arthur (1869-70). William and Ann lived in Barnstaple until their deaths.
- Marriage certificate, Barnstaple vol 5b, p871. Certified copy 8 April 1994.
- Death certificate, Barnstaple vol 5b, p548. Registered 26 March 1925. Certified copy 20 October 1993.